BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Dierickx <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:24:46 EST
In a message dated 02/15/2000 12:34:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, Christopher
Gray writes:
<<[log in to unmask] writes (perhaps regarding the question of why post-1965
 architecture in NYC is so timid):
< How about the 1916 zoning resolution - that created more regulation than
preservation.>
Could you elaborate?  I don't understand.>>

I was afraid someone would ask me to elaborate - thanks, Ralph, for the help
-
As far as regulations go, the 1916 zoning resolution had a greater impact on
the design of buildings - height regulations, setbacks, than any preservation
regulations have had on building design.  The 1960's zoning regulations had a
big impact on mid-20th century buildings.

Preservation regulations, like the strict ones in NYC,  have had a great
impact on existing buildings - storefront design, lack of really bad rooftop
additions, etc.  This type of regulation, and the preservation movement as a
whole, has had far less impact on the design of new buildings, except those
in historic districts.  I don't believe preservationists can be blamed for
such Disneyland spawn like Celebration (see Ada Louise Huxtable) or for
less-than-inspired modern design.  We can take responsibility for preserving
the buildings that could be torn down to make room for new buildings.  We
can't take any credit (blame) for the Javits Convention Center.

This is all part of a larger movement and we will need another 50 years'
perspective to figure out what it's all about.  Maybe the people are taking
back the buildings.  Maybe what architects and critics see as great design is
not what the rest of the world sees as great design.

Mary Dierickx, NYC