BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:31:53 -0500
Wow!  Thank you very much.

I told Brad Hawkins from Spec Mix that he needs to be talking to the design and engineering professions, if he wants to compete and be listed in specifications.  I want to use local suppliers, and our local contractors are very open to this supplier, and Brad assured me they use local sources of cement and sand.  I love your products, Michael, but I'm keeping an open mind for local sources.  I respect the response from all of you, and told Brad that I needed some kind of peer response, but didn't tell him about our little secret listserv.

Meanwhile, I will request more data on the mix.  This project doesn't require a technical match to original mortar, but the building dates from 1913, so there is the possibility they used a lime-cement mix.  Still, I am comfortable going with our contractor's recommendation, and keeping on schedule.

My local material scientist and lab consultant is John Zarzecki, with SME, who has been a great help for mortar testing and explanations, but he has some issues with Spec Mix.  If you were closer, John, I'd love to have your expertise on a job.  You and Michael really understand natural cements.  Ironically, John Zarzecki found evidence of natural cements for an 1880s church project up north, but only for a study, so doubtful we'll get to see this through specifications and repairs.  We rarely encounter this in SE Michigan, but the church imported their brick from Wisconsin, and apparently they got cement from there, too.  The mortar analysis was an interesting piece of the study, which we wouldn't have discovered if we hadn't done the analysis.  For every mortar analysis, there is a season, and a time, etc....

Again, thank you, all.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street