BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 17:55:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/99 3:44:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< NEW JERSEY GETS THE SCRAPS [of Ellis Island] ...
 And what belongs to New Jersey? The landfilled parts. >>

I feel compelled to comment, as I live in the "Squished State." For all the
complaints about New Jersey, I do believe we are the most populous state in
the Union. I keep hoping people will leave, so that'll be just one less
person I have to mow down on the Turnpike in the morning. We need every
square foot we can get out hands on.

-Heidi

P.S. The following press release was in my mailbox today too, regarding Ellis
Island. It clears up some of the specifics of the Ellis Island division.

Notice of Public Hearing by the NJ Governor's Advisory Committee on the
Preservation and Use of Ellis Island Relating to Solicitation of Public
Comment and Input on Concepts for Potential Components to a Plan for
Restoration, Maintenance and Beneficial Use of Ellis Island, NJ

From: Finn M.W. Caspersen, Chairman, Governor's Advisory Committee
Date: June 7, 1999
Time: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Location: NJ Department of Environmental Protection Public Hearing Room
        First Floor, 401 East State Street
        Trenton, NJ

The NJ Governor's Advisory Committee on the Preservation and Use of
Ellis Island, pursuant to Executive Orders #82 and 90, has been charged
with developing recommendations for Governor Christine Todd Whitman
regarding the restoration, maintenance and beneficial use of Ellis Island,
NJ.  A Supreme Court ruling on May 26, 1998 awarded New Jersey
jurisdiction over 22.5 of Ellis Island's 27.5 acres.  Ellis Island, NJ
includes
the South Side with its 29 Hospital Complex and Administration Buildings,
the New Ferry Building joining the South and North sides of the island,
and portions of the North Side with its Baggage and Dormitory Building.
All of Ellis Island, NJ is currently off-limits to the public due to the
structural deterioration of these buildings.  Restoration cost estimates
exceed $300 million.

The NJ Governor's Advisory Committee on the Preservation and Use of
Ellis Island has developed five concepts for potential components to a
plan for restoration, maintenance and beneficial use of Ellis Island, NJ
and invites public comment and input on these and other options.  These
concepts will be described and discussed by committee members at the
Public Hearing along with the guiding principles used to develop them.
These concepts are as follows:

A Center for Immigrant Contribution and Ethnic Learning
A Health Learning Center
A Regional History Information Center
A Training Facility for Historic Conservation and Preservation
An International Conference Center