BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:00:38 -0800
OK gang.  I thought you all were pulling my leg with that talk of cast iron
buildings, I mean really, cast iron is for boilers and engine blocks and
such, not for buildings but.....

About ten days ago there was quite a conflagration in downtown Brattleboro,
this is the local "shopping town," population around 8,000 I should think.
Now to those of you who live in big cities this is probably not news but
here there is one fire of this magnitude about every ten to twelve years.
The newspapers have been full of stories about the fire, the building and
it's history, etc.  I think it said the building was built around 1901 or
so and it has 3 cast iron columns on the front.  Now I have been in and out
of this building dozens of times and I certainly never noticed that the
columns on the front were cast iron.  Was it made to look like stone like
the metal grave monuments were?  Ruth

PS:  I thought the paper would have the article online and I could give you
a URL but they seemed to have everything but online.
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT