BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:48:57 EDT
<< Also used in construction zone traffic management in those days were black
 iron spherical oil lamps (flame at the top) which resembled cartoon-style
 bombs.
----------I believe these were known as smudge pots in sunny Cali-forn-eye-a
in my yout, and were used in cold weather to keep the orange trees from
freezing.

 Still another detail: the Wayne County Road Commission (next door to us
 here in Southeast Michigan) claims to have invented painted lane striping
 in the early 20th century.
-----------Wasn't that Al Gore? Or the Russians? The father (or grandfather)
of a friend of my wife's is supposed to have invented the sparkley stuff that
makes the lines reflect, and got a house on Nantucket out of the deal.

Ralph