BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:01:17 +0000
Pam Blythe wrote:

> Crazy or crazed?  Was the history of Edison v. Tesla passed on through the
> generations or did you do some research on your own?

It was passed on through the generators. No, actually, a combination of
being told on one hand to look things up in a book by myself, and crazy
electricians in my life. I was not so good at handling the material
(talk about having problems working in wood), and there was a very good
reason I was called Sparky. I was better at reading about the history of
the industry than the practice. Pulling meter panels out on live
circuits did not appeal to me. I also did not like replacing live
outlets during electrical storms. All that historic tube & knob stuff is
interesting though, and I had a nice coleciton of ancient gear at one
time. Curiosity led to Tesla.

Talking about Sparky, there was that white boxer called Wolf (or Wolf
2?) that I recal as being Sparky Barker. He kept going nextdoor to the
Horton's and messing with Maryjane's horse. Till one day he was climbing
through the electric fence and Maryjane flipped the switch. The dog was
straddling the wire and could not do anything more than jump and bark.
That cured him of playing with horses.

][<en FOllett