BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 10:36:56 -0400
Re: Igor Kiselev and his website topic on _Historic Preservation
in Russia.

We've been doing the planning for a large site in Moscow incorporating
historic  structures.  Instead of traditional zoning by dictum, the
historic analysis includes inovative examination of the view corridors and
skyline across a property, recognizing and preserving the special qualities
of each site.  We've been calling it "blue line" planning (for the blue
line drawn on a photo montage showing the intact sky exposure).  It's an
approach we in this country should well consider.  I mean to write about it
when the project gets underway.

I have been to Moscow four times in the last year, and have yet to visit
any sites undergoing conservation.  I am very interested in seeing
craftsmen at work and to gain more insight in how preservation, rehab and
restoration projects get done in the Russian system.  Any recommendations?
The way it's done in Moscow is not necessarily how it's done in St.
Petersburg.  The organizations, controls and practitioners are quite
separate.  Good examples to check out?

Let's keep in touch, in the name of good will and mutual interests.  --Jim
Rhodes