BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Delaney Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 20:03:09 EST
Subj:    Re: DemoByNeg Thanks
Date:   2/15/98 1:11:21 PM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Walli Haley)
To:     [log in to unmask]

My city, El Paso, Texas, also has a demolition by neglect ordinance. However,
it has
NEVER been enforced because the city's attorneys are afraid the homeowner will
sue if
cited for this!

I tried to get the city attorneys to look into the idea of adopting an
"affirmative
maintenance" ordinance such as the one now used in Pasadena, California, but
so far,
the city has done nothing.

Oh, and the message from the one poster who rhapsodied about the beauty of old
paint,
etc. was poetic, but my understanding of demolition by neglect is that it is
exactly what it
says: a house is SO neglected that it is actually falling apart and has become
a real
eyesore and thus is in danger of being demolished.  Is this right?

Sincerely,
Ms. Walli Haley
El Paso Preservation Alliance
http://www.eppa.org