BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:34:30 -0500
> I've decided to give my repointing skills a try.  I've found a fairly
> decent wall thats needs a litte tlc.  The wall was built in the
1920's and
> has a farily soft brick with a softer mortar.  I am going to use an
> equivalant of Type K mortar (1:4:15) or a Type O mortar (1:2:9).
>
> I cannot find a supplier of lime putty here on my side of the state, I
> would have to have it shipped from Toledo for a total cost of about
$70 per
> 3 gal. pail (50 for the putty 20 for shipping).  That doesn't appeal
to me
> very much.
>
> My question becomes what is the best subsitute for the lime
> putty...quicklime and water???  Is that a fair substitue for the lime
> putty?  And if it is, what is the proper slaking procedure for this
> process? What is my m
> ix ratio on the lime to water.  How long do I need to
> let it set before I can repoint?
>
> Any help is most appreciated.
>
> Nate Gillette
> Grand Rapids, MI
>
> --
Dear Nate,

The money you are about to be saved should go directly toward your
PINHEAD dues. Make checks payable to Ralph.

First, I agree with jc that 1920's sounds a little late for lime
mortar, but Type O would have been widely used. To make a type O or K
you will need portland cement type I, ASTM C-144 mason's sand and lime.

You can buy lime putty for $50-70-110 a bucket. Or you can go to Home
Depot and get a bag of Type S hydrated lime for about 4 bucks. Add
about 23% water. MAGIC! It is now lime putty.

Someday some shameless marketing scam artist is going to go down to
Home Depot, buy a whole bunch of $4 lime and $2 buckets, dump the lime
buckets, label it as "Instant Lime Putty - Just Add Water", and sell it
for $50 a pail.

In the words of another Connecticut Yankee, "There's a sucker born
every minute".

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President