BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:38:40 -0500
A couple things...

Cell Towers:
In Ann Arbor we have no say about installation of cellular towers at
site that is a primary service, i.e. electrical sub-station, even if if
is a designate historic structure.  In fact, commercial cellular
companies can add their equipment to that needed by Detroit Edison,
without adding another tower, which means we might as well let them.  Is
this clear?  The logic is circular, but legal.  Does this lead to fewer
towers, or weaker HDC review?  At least the location has minimal impact
on the historic resource and surrounding site.

New York parking:
Chris, we (Norm and Ilene) loved your article on New York parking.  A
different perspective makes us think about preservation differently.
What are we preserving?  Just having old buildings that can't be fully
appreciated stops short of preservation of the total community
experience, e.g. pedestrian boulevard, architectural treatment at grade
and below grade, urban fabric.  The arguments to disallow street parking
are valid today, but economically unenforceable.

Competitive Bidding:
I couldn't access the article ("not found"), but am torn by the concept
of that vs. negotiated agreements.  What we are all after, however, is
quality work and accountability.

Bye all,

Ilene "middling opinion on Digest Mode"  Tyler