BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bruce.Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:26:04 -0800
I've spent time doing various things at that temperature, such as trying to
stay alive, but never stripping paint. I suspect that the bond between paint
and substrate might be weaker at that temperature, but you'd run into
breakage of tools from brittleness. Cleanup would be a drag, because plastic
drop cloths tend to shatter. You might need oversize handles on the scrapers
to accommodate thick mitts. You'd also have to pay twice as much to get
anybody out there, so the economical thing might be to wait until spring.

My first job in the Yukon was working for the City of Dawson in the Public
Works Department. Shortly after I started, winter came on and it was a cold
one. We seemed to spend all our time under peoples houses, using steam lines
to thaw out frozen water and sewer lines. There was a real cold snap in
January with a couple of weeks at or colder than 60º F below, with our
coldest day at 69º below. My boss promised me that if it reached 70 below,
we wouldn't have to work. I think he would have simply dropped the ante had
the temperature got there.

When you finish thawing the lines to the water main and to the house, in
order for them not to freeze while you're making the connection, you have to
have the water turned on while grappling with the lines in a 2' high crawl
space. Naturally, you get soaked, whereupon you have 20 seconds to get the
hell out from under the house and into the truck before you're stiff as a
board. Then you have to go home, change, and think of a reason why you
should go back to work. When spring finally arrived, I was offered a job
with Klondike National Historic Sites as an artifact photographer, and it
took me about .3 milliseconds to make up my mind. Especially as the town had
just got over a catastrophic flood, but that's another story.

Signed, still has some fingers.

                <I've always wondered - anyone ever test stripping with
cold, I mean way cold,
                <like -50 F?

                <Sign me,  Polar Bare