BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:45:11 -0500
Met History wrote:

> Received this from Westford, Mass, thought others on list might like
> to chime in to her...the link shows panels with a steam roller, steam
> shovel, etc., v. cool ---- Christopher
> <<<<<I am trying to locate large granite panels that were created,
> probably during the WPA timeframe, from Chelmsford (MA) granite by the
> Fletcher Granite Company and installed beneath the roofline on some
> building.

Christopher,

I do not know where the panels are. They look awesome. But I note that
yesterday I received this notice from Ivan Myjer for a symposium on
building stones that includes speakers from Fletcher Granite as well as
a tour of the quarry.

][<en

BUILDING WITH STONE: Preliminary DRAFT Schedule

Granite & Marble for Architectural Exteriors & Monuments

May 8-9, 2004 Cambridge, Massachusetts

SATURDAY, May 8, 2004 – Wong Auditorium, MIT

7:30am Registration Begins

8:15-8:30 Welcome, Co-Chairs – Susan E. Schur, Hon. AIA,
Publisher-Editor, Technology & Conservation, Ivan Myjer, Principal,
Building & Monument Conservation, and Prof. John E.Fernandez, MIT,
School of Architecture & Planning – Building Technology Program

8:30 –9:00 Historic Perspectives I (including the stone choices of noted
architects from four time periods – pre-1800s, 1800s, early 1900s,
contemporary), Prof. John Ochsendorf, MIT, School of Architecture &
Planning – Building Technology Program

9:00-9:15 Historic Perspectives II (the stone choices of a few noted
sculptors of various time periods), Rebecca Reynolds – Luce Fellow,
Boston University

9:15-9:30 Historic Perspectives III (the role of transportation
developments and of technology), W. Lewis Barlow, IV, FAIA, Sr.
Historical Architect, National Park Service

9:30-10:05 Basic Material Properties (the prime properties of granite
and marble and how you define these, both on the micro and macro scale,
with an emphasis on what these mean in terms of specifying stone),
Dorothy Richter, Principal, Richter/Hager Geoscience, Inc.

10:05-10:20 Coffee Break

10:20-11:00 Granite & Marble Performance I – Thick Wall Stone Buildings
– The Role of Mechanical Properties, from traditional masonry to
composites through to early steel-frame buildings, Donald Friedman, PE,
Donald Friedman, Consulting Engineer

110:00-11:40 Granite & Marble Performance II – Thin Wall Stone Buildings
– The Role of Thermal & Water Absorption Properties, Stephen Kelley, PE,
Senior Engineer, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.

11:40-12:00 Q&A

12:00-2:00 Luncheon – MIT Faculty Club

2:00-2:45 Granite & Marble Performance III – Environmental Interactions
– Buildings, Monuments, and Tombstones, Prof. George Scherer, Princeton
University

2:45-3:15 Specifying Granite, John Barretto, Jr., CSI, Sales Manager –
Dimension Stone, Fletcher Granite Co. LLC

3:15-3:35 Coffee Break/Poster Discussions

3:35-4:15 Specifying Marble, Luca Mannolini, Vermont Marble Co.

4:15-4:50 Campus Buildings – Clio and Whig Halls, Princeton University-
Michael Mills, FAIA, Principal, Ford Farewell Mills and Gatsch Architects

4:50-5:30 Managing Historic & Contemporary Stone Buildings II –
Government Buildings (including Federal Hall) and Meeting Seismic
Requirements for Traditional Buildings, Marie Ennis, PE., Principal,
Einhorn Yaffee Prescott A&E

5:30-6:15 Q&A

6:15-745 Reception – Cambridge Marriott Hotel

SUNDAY, May 9, 2004 – Wong Auditorium, MIT

8:00-8:30am Historic Quarrying Operations – Film

8:30-9:15 Quarrying Practice, including New Developments, Matt Peterson,
Business Development Manager, Fletcher Granite Co. LLC

9:15-10:00 Fabrication Basics + New Techniques, TBA

10:00-10:20 Issues of Sources & Shipping – Moving Stone Around the
World, TBA

10:20-10:30 Q&A

10:30-10:45 Coffee Break

10:45-11:05 Identifying Historic Stones, Steven Haynes,
Founder/Director, Maine Granite Industry Historical Society Museum

11:05-11:30 Reopening Historic Quarries, Tony Ramos, President, New
England Stone LLC

11:30-12:00 Traditional Stone Detailing & Finishing, Stephen Boyle,
Stone Masonry Consultant, Mesick Cohen Wilson Baker Architects, LLP

12:00-12:30 Q&A

12:30-2:00 Luncheon – MIT Faculty Club

2:00-2:15 Replicating Historic Finishes- Tooling, TBA

2:15-2:45 Repair or Replicate – Monuments, Sculptures, & Grave Markers,
Ivan Myjer, Principal, Building & Monument Conservation

2:45-3:10 How to Specify Carving for Existing and New Buildings &
Monuments, Ivan Myjer, Principal, Building & Monument Conservation

3:10-3:25 Q&A

3:25-3:40 Coffee Break

3:40-4:20 Managing Historic & Contemporary Stone Buildings III – Modern
Architectural Icons, David Fixler, AIA, NCARB, Principal & Director,
Historic Preservation, Einhorn Yaffee, Prescott A&E; others – TBA

4:20-4:50 New Methods of Evaluation, TBA

4:50-5:35 New uses of Stone in Architecture, Prof. John E. Fernandez,
MIT, School of Architecture & Planning – Building Technology Program

5:35-6:00 Q&A

MONDAY, MAY 10, 2004 – Optional Tour

Available for conference registrants. (There is no charge for the tour.
Select one – see registration form.)

The tours offered (which will start at 9 am) are:

· Tour of Fletcher Granite Quarries (transportation provided)

· Tour of Mt. Auburn Cemetery (Choose One)

REGISTRATION FORM

Conference Registration Fee:

BUILDING WITH STONE:

Granite & Marble for Architectural Exteriors & Monuments

Prior to March 1, 2004 After March 1, 2004 Amount

$405/person $495/person ………………… $_____________

Basic fee covers the 8:00-6:15 pm conference program May 8 and 9, the
May 8 and 9 luncheons, and the Saturday evening, May 8, reception

Please indicate any special accessibility or dietary needs:

______________ Vegetarian meals
_________________________________________other needs

Guest tickets for the May 8 reception @ $50/ticket. $______ ( no charge
of conf. attendees)

I would like to attend ___the May 10 Fletcher Granite Quarries tour

____the May 10 Mt. Auburn Cemetery tour Please select only one tour per
person

TOTAL………. $_____________

Check for $___________(U.S. funds, drawn on a U.S.A. bank) for
registration fee (and for any guest tickets for the Saturday reception)
is enclosed. Check should be made payable to: The Technology
Organization, Inc. Return this form, with check (made payable to The
Technology Organization, Inc.) to:

Technology & Conservation, 76 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02143

Questions? Call T&C at 617-623-4488; fax: 617-623-2253

Please enclose any questions that you would like to have discussed
during the conference.

Please register me (us) for the conference:

Name(s)___________________________________________________________

Title______________________________________________________________

Organization_______________________________________________________

Address___________________________________________________________

City, State, Zip (Postal Code)__________________________________________

Tel:____________________________Fax:_______________________________

e-mail_____________________________________________________________

Each person listed on the registration must sign the following statement:

I(we) understand and agree that the participation of Technology &
Conservation, The Technology Organization, Inc. conference organizers,
and cooperating organizations and individuals in the 2004 “Building with
Stone” conference is limited to providing educational background and
guidance; that all transportation, accommodations, tour, and other
arrangements in connection with this

Conference are under the exclusive control of others and that Technology
& Conservation, The Technology Organization, Inc. conference organizers,
and cooperating organizations and individuals have no liability or
responsibility whatsoever for the death of any person or for any loss,
expense, delay, injury, or other damage to any person or property
(however occurring) on, during, and/or in relation to this “Building
with Stone: conference and the information furnished.