BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:11:54 -0800
Amartya Sen talks about local ownership in India-- comparing outside v
inside control. It's not a simple dichotomy; it's more about the
internal checks and balances of a complex system which has a sort of
self-informing intelligence. Also his outlook goes wider and deeper,
certainly more than IMF-thinking. Sen is brilliant and kind.

----------------------------------
Mary Tegel
hands on impresario
Tegel Design + Planning
----------------------------------

On Jan 18, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> Putnam's work is on topic but, in my opinion, a bit fluffy. That's
>> where my dept. was stuck then.
> please give us the unfluffy
>
> mostly what you have here is a naive instinct to hold together and a
> whole lot of folks w/ solidness

It's not naive. I think it's more like dull-cost accounting where More
is taken under consideration including the unquantifiable.
> we rarely wait to be received, we look to build that world we dare
> to imagine, unhooked, unhinged

This is hybrid vigor!!

>> Some towns simply don't have true third places. I live in one that
>> has anemic versions only. That's one reason I like BP.
> I just finished reading John Nichols, The Milagro Beanfield War,
> hits on
Great story. Try also Tortilla Flat-- somewhat sappy but a good story.
> some of this sense of power, community and 3rd places, the version I
> read he adds an afterword in ...

The vegetable stand/ Colorado encounter and follow-up, and the family
history, and your prospective lighthouse gig is a perfect example of
what I mentioned about my understanding of Sen's outlook. People and
place and the people (notably reliable and imaginative you) making the
connections. That this is possible and that it happens can be forged
by or destroyed by hardship. We each and all depend on others and
something beyond others to endure.

> ... stay tuned
> ][<

I will. And I need to write about this stuff... Soon.

SMP