BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bowman, Camille (DHR)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:44:57 -0500
Yes, I'm quite familiar with it. . . And Ken and Lisa are, also.

In my humble opinion, the drainage was built inside the 9-stories of
hollow clay tile walls in the 1910's; it was cut off at the bottom in a
recent remodelling/"restoration" (whether the early 2000's tax credit or
even the 1940's building of additions) and flooded in the recent
N'oreaster that dumped 10" of rain into those interior downspouts. Some
of us in the SHPO office have been working with the Chamberlin's issues;
apparently others are asking for help as well (that's communication for
you!). I've been waiting to see original plans (to compare to later
rehab plans) to see if, in fact, my theory is right. Meanwhile, I've
told them to run hoses into those downspouts and see if they drain. I
suspect they wont ...  And I suspect they don't want to for fear of what
they might find out.

Ken and Lisa have been a lot of help on this as I put out an SOS to them
when it first came up and I didn't have a good understanding of 1910's
hollow clay tile construction and if, in fact, those downspouts were
intended to drain 9 stories through the wall. . . and don't anymore.

Anyway, we're working with them. Am curious about who's asking for
help...apparently they don't like my assessment!!

Camille Agricola Bowman
Easement Technical Advisor
Tidewater Region Preservation Office
Department of Historic Resources