BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:52:05 EDT
BP is a two-way serial publication of which you, the reader, are a
participant, a journalist of your world view… so, tell us what is in your
world - that is signal. Think of it as a magazine in which a single page
ranges from historic nail charts, tool reviews, case study, legal issues, Mad
Magazine, Bible study, Tupperware shopping, to electric stud guns and
restoration of the Face on Mars.

Though silence is possibly the optimal noise:signal ratio it is hardly
sociable and goes against the reason of BP, which is more to the point to be
unreasonable, to seek corridors outside the theater lobby, to encourage
creativity, to throw about our shadows and masks in role play, and to sustain
the humor and spirit of the subscribers, who do happen to be in their day
jobs preservationists, or wanna be preservationeers, or for those who are
simply sympathetic to histo presto and enjoy the soap opera, or those who
simply find themselves stuck here hitting the delete key. Without noise we
are stick figures. With noise there is context and our individual angst gains
character in the belonging.

My work life is manic and seriously unrelenting - without the relationships
that I have developed, the sense of attachment and caring that I have for the
subscribers to this list, I would be at a serious loss. Despite this, I am
uncomfortable dancing around on a stage with silent gawkers.

BP has an anti-lurker policy, of which the list owners (which includes the
"regular contributor"), and everyone else in the community, have been lax.
One resolution to the problem of noise:signal ratio is to remove not the
noise, but the desire for signal -- completely… and simply to eliminate all
those lurkers who desire signal, but give no signal by the act of lurking, as
compensation for the enfeebled among us who on principle are compelled to
chatter in order to sustain the illusion of the BP ball in motion - to those
of us who worry that even in our most mundane and ridiculous roles that
emoting on BP is doing something not for ourselves, but for each other.

In light of this, and in celebration of three years of delightful chaos, I
propose that I suspend all lurkers from BP. Please advise.

][<en Follett