BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:50:07 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Moisture from the inside is caused by inadequate ventilation

I think that the progressive idea that you can build a skin 100% impermeable,
for 100% of the life of a structure, to exterior moisture penetration is
marketing & sales bullshit tied to the religious belief that missapplied
technology, if only it is applied with uninhibited zeal, will save us from
ourselves. Water will always find a way to get from outside to inside of a
building. It is the same sort of disturbed thinking that leads to the oil
marketers promoting the smearing of btiuminous mastic onto parapets and whole
sides of buildings. end result -- accelerated decay of masonry. If someone
had a corner on the corn cob supply they could just as well talk people into
glueing corn cobs to their houses. I have nothing against vinyl, I have
nothing against nuclear energy other than zero tolerance... I do have
something against missleading bullshit that ends in serious deterioration of
the structural elements of buildings, and I am worried about the landfills
that will someday be filled with vinyl. The house siding just does not turn
into stalagmites very well and does not even have the benefit of glowing
under a black light. Now, if they could get Ralph Loren involved I may tone
down my opinion.

][<en