BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 13:46:05 EDT
After a cheap week-end in the Bavarian Tyrol with Ken and Leyland I took the
bullet train to Paris where a couple of no good French celtic stone masons
corrupted what little morals I had left. I did however find some great places
for hand carving tools and will post to those interested.
For those not bored the folowing  was my wretched itentriary:

After spending all my francs on flooseys in  sodden debauchery
( thats on the left bank... near.. northen debauchery)
I hitched a ride with a trucker to Britanny where a former mason from St.
John the Divine took pitty on me and force fed me on fresh oysters( fins
claires) rock lobster; and libations from dark caves that make you giggle and
swoon and say things in bad french to chic women with pouty lips that you
regret later.
For granite lovers the coast of Brittany is hard to beat; the stone  is rose
colored and polishes lighter than those of Maine ,Georgia or Colo ; and is
softer to cut .
 We took horses at low tide along the granite skerries of Cap Freral 60 km
west of St. Malo and trotted  sea  trails agmonst weathered  strewn granite
deposits that form sureal animalistic shapes all surrounded by  a frothy
green blue sea,  inspiring celtic legends of old......and back ground art for
bad cd's .
Taking the horses to full gallop ( I had the nag Toejam)... we came to our
surprize... there among the granite,lupine and blushes of yellow gorse
several mythical creatures in scanty attire who sun themselves in the buff
and pretend you are not there, starring out to sea...like sirens. Despite
your gallant pretentions and despert attepts to asswage their fears (bird and
owl calls don't work) ....I came to the con clusion one of two things ..one I
was seeing things ..two  I do not cut the rakish figure I once had ...even on
horse back....and so ce la vie ....However.I decided for one ... as two
....was too impossible to bear..later..I...( see mythical creatures teach
Mike french part 2 )
What is most pleasing is that you can find many 18th 19 th and even some 15
th and 16 century stone farm houses with those massive wood interior
beams(24x24) and 6' norman fireplaces ; and traditional slate roofs.
 I visit several preservations in progress mostly by young craftsmen; The
curved wood beams exposing itself through thick plaster ...and  and thick
masonry floor of cut granite ....and I saw one 19 cent floor of mine slag and
lime and sand now polished ; .....that along with FiFi trying to fluff your
pillow at night whilst stealing your night change made it hard to leave; but
who ?can live on a diet of farm pate' and canard;wild hare and crab ,oyster,
and rock lobster  embellished with deep red wine and crisp whites anyway?....
Let me tell you about the Wendy's I had on the way home drom the air
port........Stinking of you...Mon Oncle