BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:35:37 -0500
Pam,

Start with the NPS Briefs.  Several deal with these subjects.  Other
references are available, but start here.

http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/briefs/presbhom.htm

and here

http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/tpscat.htm

-jc

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 07:28  AM, Stevenson, Pamela wrote:

> Howdy, folks.  I know I've been quiet for a while.  Hope y'all didn't
> miss me too much.  Anywho, Mr. Pam and I attended a meeting last night
> for improving downtown Phelps so folks would be think it's pretty and
> inviting.  During the conversation, a couple questions arose to which
> I responded that I had a great source of information (BP, of course!)
> and would see what I could find out.
>
> So...question 1: One woman knows of publications like Old House
> Journal, but she doesn't know of any that relate to old commercial
> buildings.  She would like to know some good mags, trade journals,
> reference books, etc. that would cater to this.  What brought this up
> is that apparently Cornell students (engineering, architecture, we're
> not sure) have a requirement to come to Phelps to view the downtown
> (all 1.5 blocks of it) because it has the most examples of different
> styles and eras in such a small setting.  We, of course, know nothing
> about it.  Everyone agreed that it was purdy neat that a high falutin'
> school would have little old Phelps on its curriculum.
>
> Question 2: This same woman (she's retired with lots of time on her
> hands) was recently in Bennington VT and noticed that all the downtown
> buildings have a double pane thermal setup where the 2 windows have a
> 3/4" or so metal gasket inbetween.  Our downtown businesses are
> concerned with heating/cooling costs, and she wanted to get more
> information about these particular windows.  Would anyone know of good
> references for this type of thermal setup?  I was wondering if they
> were custom or a commercial standard design and possible sources for
> the materials.
>
> I think that does it for now.  TIA.
>
> - Pam

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890