BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:08:02 -0500
On 1/8/2010 9:45 PM, deb bledsoe wrote:
> I was wondering if any one had noticed the stepped up enforcement
> mentioned in this article?
yes
there has been a three to fourfold cost increase for a rig drop for one
thing
last year took the 16 hour suspended scaffold class and despite my
having had a special rigger's license for a number of years I walked out
of there saying, "I don't want anything to do with this any more."
we facilitate arrangements but get out of the way as much as possible
there is increased chatter about the 10-hr OSHA class
you need to have taken a class and have a card to be on pipe over 4
stories in height, and you had better have a hard hat on and maybe a
reflective vest, and you better have real work boots and not sneakers
don't even think of putting up your own pipe, call the suppliers and
have them do it
a whole lot of enforcement has to do with contractors self-regulating
their activity... neither the DOB or OSHA can cover all of the activity
that goes on
a strategy of the systems seems to be to build up ways in which if there
is an accident that it can be traced back to the responsible party
I think that is a pretty good strategy when you consider how large the
building industry is in NYC.... but w/ 25% unemployment in that sector
there is also a lot less to regulate
and then there is the pressure of insurance costs, one fatality can mean
the end of a business
though I think the whole thing of construction in NYC is about as
unattractive as it has always been

][<