BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

When I'm in NC I'm a tourist. Dan
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:54:47 EDT
Well pinheads inspired me again...remember the talk about Snow Hill and Snow
bottom ....well the following is on an old memory....brought to light by our
conversation  enjoy or wrap your fish in it ..Pyrate

Intro
For most people from out of state a bottom is the South end of a north bound
mule;

however a bottom down here is a highly cultivated piece of "bottom land:
where the best cotton or crops are grown.
The following story is about an incident in Snow Bottom;
a  black community of a few ramshackle shacks, a blind pig (illicit bar ) and
a juke joint (illicit bar with music)
This little collection of humanity  has existed on the border of the Delta
since slave times . Its Robert Johnson country; old and alive as the blues ever
was.

The story is  short but best to download and read at your leisure.  Michael

Snow Bottom
I was working my broom into the corners of my open roadside shop when a late
model sedan pulled up.
 I stepped from cool  dark shade of the  bay door into the blinding light of
the noon day to see whats up

The tinted window glided down and a stranger  hollered at  me over the din of
his country radio station ......
"Whars Snow Bottom" he shouted
adjusting his volume dial from  a caterwalling  roll of a rock-a-billy
yodeler.

I lowered  my head;  parked  my gum to my back molars
then leaned over my broom and eyeballed a pie bald man  with bushy eyebrows
and impish grin wearing the  starched working  kaki of the old school .

Old professional ;..I thought who still wears his work clothes.

 He had a happy thought full  face  and kept company with a snappy little
Jack Russel  terrier  who scampered back and forth over the front seat like he
was going places....Important places .
I thought long trying to get my bearings  , .....and stared out at the road
ahead
The day was hot ;90 already at noon time and the only traffic past my dirt
road was this stranger and a turtle who was trying to make it across to a
neighbors pond,

The name Snow Bottom came frightenly back to me like a forgotten  lover at my
doorstep.
Suddely  the moment  it was for real .
One night long ago  in a juke joint on the edge of the delta an ebony beauty
walked me and my life outside into the sultry heat of a   Mississippi
September  evening.

There  under a  silver moon  the two lovers  drawn together by raw passion
ravaged  all earth bound dignity  and tore at the soul of  love   in an
unbridled  raw act of pleasure that mirrors this  earthy paradise of  primevil garden
Ripped from memory; until this strangers call I had forgotten Snow Bottom.
I had forgotten because I wanted to forget;
Our passion  was raw and forbidden and I didn't want to face it , I couldn't
face it . It wasn't me ..but it was ..it was .me and I was ashamed ..

Transfixed to memory  I peer down the distant road into the noontime haze
,trying to recolect how I got there  .
I see her standing before me  in a lush savanah; naked in silver shafts of
moonlight that cascade down her etherial brown body; illuminating her sex in
rivlets of moist sweat
 Her lip quivers nervously;  she awaits me  and embraces me quickly and
suddenly.
We tremble and tear at each other like animals , then softly and slowly we
build and
  let go the the sparks and  fires of our torrid encounter with  fervid
abandon  letting go little crys and soft moans  that take to the semi sweet
magnolia air over the white   dreamlike miles of cotton to a magical moon only to
hang  on  the very stars themselves. .
 Wake up, wake up dreamer  ; I m caught  staring at the road ahead
 I had forgotten evenhow to even get back there.... Yet here I was

She said she was just "passing through";and said she would'nt be back ,
No...  she couldn't be back   It just wasn't possible
.In my mind I couln't let her back  Yet   here she was .

The strangers Jack Russel barked his impatience ...and broke the spell

I regained some composure  and proceeded to tackle  the request at hand by
placing my hand on the door of the sedan and carefully tilting my head towards
the gravel of the road.Then with the studied reserve of a local dirt farmer
expectorated a warm stream of saliva into the red clay of the road
I then locked my one eye on the stranger and rattled off what I knew on how
to get to Snow Bottom
. ,  ."see this road here " I said pointing to the first dirt  road ;
 take this around 10 mile or so ; you will pass the little town of Paris
don't blink as it is only 2 or 3 houses .  After Paris, there is Midnight; which
is just about the same
at Midnight the road splits; but don't get confused,
   go left, which will bring you past the village of  Thorn, which is  just a
gas station and a post office , and then on to Tickey Bend.
Now.... when you gets to Tickey Bend, the road splits again ;....Go left...
again
that takes you up top Mars Hill . Now.... when you get to Mars Hill stop at
the  little country store
 Most of tyhe time  Miss Arlene is there back of the counter thats  under
the licorice twists and some fishing lures  so old the hooks have  rusted off .
I can't remember exactly  where Snow bottom is, meybe its on toward De Lo ,
but she would surely know as its up there near her.
 The man moved his chaw happily to his other cheek , muttered "two lefts "
then waved a warm thanks   and moved off slow letting the tires raise and swirl
the lazy red dust    before me  like a genie let go from a  bottle  waiting
for her last wish.
    Michael
Stonemasons journal
all/rts 2003