BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:11:00 +1000
John

Agree wholeheartedly that lichen will cause deterioration of the surface
on which it is growing.  The very fine fungal tendrils have to go
somewhere, and they work their way through the pore structure of the
material.  Similarly, there are without doubt organic acids released.
The timescale is relatively slow, and in our part of the world, the
deterioration of membrane roofing due to ultraviolet radiation and other
environmental factors is much faster than the rate of decay due to
lichen could ever be.

Another complicating factor would be if the membrane roof also happens
to contain asbestos fibres.  In that case, if the lichen has already
developed, then removal could lead to disturbance of loose fibres,
whereas leaving it alone means that it is still nicely bound in place.

David West
Executive Director
internationalconservationservices
T:     +61 (2) 9417 3311