BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: \"Magma Charta Erupts Weakly\"
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:34:18 -0500
Keep in mind, a lot of the on shore damage from hurricanes are from the tornados that they spawn, so you don't want to be on the dirty side when they come ashore. Last year we chose to ride out Rita, mostly because dad was at my house, I got him off Galveston on Wednesday before the storm hit, and did not feel good about getting him on the road with everyone else. He's wheelchair bound, and I was concerned about becoming one of those people you saw on the news. That was a judgment call that I made, several neighbors tried clearing out, and ended up back in town, it was quite a zoo. BTW, I'm pricing a project to outfit gas stations with provisions for manual generator back up, with exterior tap boxes, and Kirk key interlock transfer switches, apparently FEMA mandated, but thank god, not financed. the idea of course to get stations up and running ASAP after the storm, the company that we are pricing this to is purchasing 150, 100 KW, portable generators. We heard plenty of horror stories of people on the road. Like a friend of mine who was caravanning with his wife and daughter up I-45, each is a vehicle. His daughter was taking up the rear, the woman behind her started running into her, mind you, nobody was moving too fast, so my friend switched places in line with her. The woman started hitting him. He gets out to see what the problem is, the driver was a woman in her sixties, her 40 year old son was riding. Turns out she had died with her foot dragging the brakes, her son was a life long stoner, and was so messed up he didn't realize what had happened. Now I don't want to be in town if a Cat 5 is headed in, but a Cat 2-3 I would probably stay put, which will tear this place all to hell (Alicia sure did, and that was a Cat 2 when it hit downtown). From our stand point though, it's best all the half-wits hit the road, it will make it easier to get back up and running. Like San Francisco, it's not if it's going happen, but when.

No Hero