BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:24:47 EST
The architectural photographer George Cserna, now 82 years old, trained in
Hungary, survived both Allied and German bombings - "it was not a picnic" he
says, in his rich Hungarian accent. Cserna photographed the bombed ruins
after the war, but "the Russians took my camera" and he came to the United
States in 1948, where he at first took up medical photography.  Today,
speaking from his house in Switzerland, he gave me this account of his first
big commission, for the magazine Architectural Forum:

"My first very big hit was photographing the Guggenheim Museum. There was a
whole bribing [sic] going on, and Forum bribed the guards and I got in."

"Afterwards, some architects asked me to photograph their architecture, which
was absolutely lousy, and they said ‘Your pictures are not as good as the
ones of the Guggenheim Museum' and I said: ‘Well, you are not Frank Lloyd
Wright.' "

--Submitted by Christopher Gray