BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 09:51:04 -0400
At first I was thinking you might be able to slide multiple 1/4" diameter
rods and plates into the mortar joints if they are 1/4" or wider but
probably are not.

Finally, I agree with the anchors and plugs. The problem is that the
dutchman plugs will need to be from a new source because the material loss
from core drilling will be too great for filling in the holes later -
typically 1/4" all around so your cores are 1/2" diameter too small. Also,
the anchors should only be about 3/8"-1/2" diameter so you would not be
coring for these anyway. Generally, a glue line of more than 1/6" too big
visually and not good for adhesives or mortars. We did several hundred plug
dutchmans on the black granite at the Chrysler Building. You can see them
but they look okay. Better than unit replacement and cost a lot less too!

Eric Hammarberg
Interim Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology