BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:27:39 -0400
Re: preservation of a large magnificent early anchor of the industrial
revolution.

The old nautical solution, that works on the briny deep, is to fix
sacrificial anodes of zinc.  I don't know why this shouldn't work on land.
At the US Naval Academy, they've scraped their old anchors down to firm,
undelaminated metal, primed and painted...no anodes.

Speaking of anodes, I attended an interesting lecture by a London architect
who described drilling and inserting cathodic protection to individual
failing terracotta cramps in a building facade, avoiding damaging
disassembly.  The wall is "radared" and a thin drill probed thru mortar
joints to touch the endangered iron cramp where a wire is inserted to a
sacrificial element in a tube at the mortar surface.  He swears it works.

I've heard of such measures attached to cars and steel frames, like out in
Salt Lake City...any experience, papers or documentation out there for
preservationists?

--Jim