BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:33:55 -0800
Ralph,  The trick to finding a lost object is THINKING.  Think about what
you were doing when you put it away.  Picture it in your mind.  This will
usually bring an image of where you put it.  I did this with a kid at
school who couldn't find his jacket, asked him when he last had it, what he
was doing, where he went, etc.  A few minutes he came to me with an
astonished look on his face to tell me he had found his jacket.  My
grandmother taught me to look for things and she did a good job.  Ruth

At 10:36 PM -0800 3/11/03, Cuyler Page wrote:
PS-- meanwhile, anybody got any idea what I might have done with the
controllers for Young Frank's XBox or whatever the hell it is?  I hid them
from him last Monday (he committed some grievous transgression) and now I
can't remember what I did with them.  They're not in any of the usual
places, or in the places I remember thinking about putting them.

This calls for a bit of "Intuitive Archaeology", something that
happened one day when a friend said she couldn't find a certain important
at the moment thing and was going nuts about it.   I seemed to feel a bit
of a pull off to the left and down at a certain angle to a point about 12
feet away, so I pointed in that direction, through the living room floor
toward the basement below where I did not know how things were arranged.
Since all else was failing about finding the thing, she finally took the
"Impossible!" suggestion to look down there in the exact place I pointed
to where she would never have put it, and by golly, there is was, right
where the intuitive pull suggested.   Sort of like dowsing I guess, and it
has been useful for finding lost things a few other times too.   It can
also help in finding parking places close to where you have to go.   Sort
of feels like designing when rational program development doesn't end up
with something meaningful on the paper.   On the other hand, you might be
too much involved in the rationality of the XBox issue.   Try asking a
non-involved friend to do it.   The trick seems to be to ask a simple
question without an expectation of what the answer might be and then pay
attention if a suggestion does come.   'taint 100% but . . . . . Try it.
You might like it.

cp in bc

--
Ruth Barton