BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:54:28 -0400
 >>Some time back I mentioned the giant steam box, 5' x 10' inside
capacity<<

Wow, that's gotta be the momma of all steam boxes. (can you climb in
there and take a steam bath at the end of the day?) What are you using
to generate steam for that? How many watts of electricity does it use?

We are using the baby (4' x 5') foam board steam box, light-weight,
highly portable, or make one up at each job site for $50 materials and 3
hours labor--powered by a 1500-2500 watt steam unit. Sash steam times
are 15-20 minutes at box temps of 203 to 210 (sea level, still want to
try it in Denver!) We improve through-put efficiency by 15-20% operating
the box in a vertical position, sash sliding in and out vertically.
Condensate drains off sash, wood damage is much less due to less liquid
water soaking into wood. Recent improvements keep the steam in the box
when sash are taken in and out. (at least 10% through-put increase, we
expected better, but have done just one run so far) Glass breakage down
by 10-12% compared to any dry-heat deglazing method.

 >>Hot in the
room though<<

We had to set up sash-steam operations in a collections exhibition area
at the American Precision Museum in Vermont, where the steam may have
condensed on the antique machinery. I set up RH & temp monitoring of air
with dataloggers. We rigged the steam box for the steam to vent directly
out doors. (and wondered if there is ever lead in the steam effluent, do
you know if anyone has tested the method for that risk?)

John
by steam and heat we strip it neat