BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:57:55 -0500
Ralph,

Given the age of the building, there is an excellent chance that the original
mortar is a natural cement/lime blend. A higher lime content could have been
used for the setting mortar, a higher cement content for the pointing, common
practice for the period as cement was costlier than lime but lime was
considered deficient in weather resistance.

I would send samples of each to a lab that has experience in distinguishing
between the various binders in use during the 1890's and let the results guide
me. If they determine that there is natural cement then the buff color is the
cement color and original to the building.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive