BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Delaney Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:39:13 EST
Subj:    Demo by Neglect
Date:   2/16/98 10:18:25 PM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Eric W. Allison)
To:     [log in to unmask]

It's interesting to me that even in New Jersey the term is not known.  I
run a preservation advocacy group in New York City.  Our preservation law
was just amended to upgrade the enforcement provisions and one clause that
would have made demolition by neglect (called that specifically in the law)
a violation subject to fines was pulled out of the law at the last minute
due to strenuous objections from the religious property lobby.  They send a
letter around to churches and synagogues informing pastors and rabbis that
the new law would cost them thousands of dollars and possibly jail if they
failed to keep their roofs from leaking (which, of course, was not the
intent of the law).  Demo by neglect has been an on-going battle in NYC for
some time and there is a least one lawsuit against an owner by the Landmark
Preservation Commission under the old form of the law, which allowed
criminal fines.

Eric Wm. Allison
President
Historic Districts Council