BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:24:10 EST
In a message dated 12/30/99 6:53:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 > The few surviving original windows (at 411-423 West 154th) are the usual
 > multi-light sash, no different than other I have seen - plain lower sash,
 > upper sash bordered by 2" panes surrounding a single central pane.
 .
 Growing up in a neighborhood of houses, I wished there was a term for this
 kind of window, as seen in the domestic architecture of the 1920s.  Only a
 few years ago, I discovered the contemporary term for them, from building
 magazines and such: they were called "Queen Anne windows."

 Unfortunately that term is loaded with too many other connotations to be
 used in this context.  I'm hoping that your "glacier" turns out to refer
 to this pattern -- I suppose the central pane would be the "glacier".

Dear Coreligionist:

Afraid these are indeed Queen Anne sash.  I missed the "glacier" discussion,
but whatever it was, those is QA sash.  Their use into the '20's in the
Midwest is surprising, but evidently the Midwest was 40 years behind the
times even then.  My wife's from Chicago, and in her weaker moments will
admit to looking down her nose at things she considers Midwestern, from her
lofty vantage point in New Jersey.

It seems not inconceivable that the lumberyards had these old sash laying
around, and may have unloaded them on some on-the-cheap Babbitt type
(although old George Follansbee B. did want everything up-to-date, being a
firm believer in Progress). Conversely, it seems most unlikely that anybody
in their right mind would have revived QAS as soon as the '20's--it'd be like
us (older) Pinheads reviving the 1950's.

A most interesting problem though--maybe you could get one of your students
to look into it. (Really).

Ralph