BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:23:38 -0700
Soap box mode ON

I really don't have formal training either. I have spent almost 20 years as
a volunteer with our local heritage preservation organization and the same
time as the owner of 2 heritage buildings. I have learned far more through
"hands-on" experience and working with tradespeople than  I have ever
learned in a classroom. I think it is time that age and experience were
considered as valuable as formal education.

Soap box mode OFF

>Well, I have no "formal" preservation education, but between reading
>everything I can get my hands on, volunteering, DOING the work instead of
>just reading about it,  and spending time at Strawbery Banke Museum in NH,
>I have a great background. I've been taught more in short period of time at
>SBM than any school could accomplish - and my teacher is a man with no
>educational background, but 20+ years' restoration experience. He's
>brilliant. I think it is a shame that in most circumstances all of my
>training and knowledge won't be acknowledged as it is not FORMAL, or
>NORMAL. Something needs to change here. - Molly

Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
Owner, Bed Buddies Toys & Gifts
Director, Heritage Society of B.C.   Office Manager, Hallmark Society
[log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.islandnet.com/~helen