BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anne Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:48:40 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/98 10:26:45 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

<<I need information on cases in which franchise owners or parent corporations
have been convinced to modify their usual corporate requirements in design
modifications to historic building interiors (or exteriors).>>

I don't have any specifics, but I was very impressed by (ug) many of the
McDonalds franchise outlets in Europe, and how the exterior modification of
historic structures was minimal.  A good example: on the main street in
Rothenburg, Germany.  The entire town is landmarked -- there must have been
very strict guidelines (yea!).  I noticed the same in a wonderful art nouveau
corner structure in either Barcelona or Madrid.  You could hardly tell that
McDonalds was in there -- except for the crowds clammering to get in.

However, there were equally as many horrible McDonalds.  Even though they
tended not to destroy the exterior historic fabric -- no drivit, etc. -  I
just couldn't believe how much prime real estate they had.  At a major circle
in Milan, two of the six corners were occupied by McDonalds!  My God, the
typical retailer had one-quarter of the street space that McDonalds occupied.

McDonalds' headquarters are located in Oakbrook, Illinois. I used to know a
man who was an architect for their foreign locations, but he has recently
left.  I never really discussed this issue with him.  But I am sure there is
someone at McDonalds headquarters with whom you could speak.

Anne Sullivan