BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:50:12 PDT
>From: Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Had no luck at either the bookstore browsing, or at home, on
>defining earth tones.

How about a vernacular definition?   ;)

I remember earth tones from the early 70's.... mostly muted
browns and greens and yellows, all named stuff like "straw"
and "honey" and "avacado".....
but I also remember there being some pumpkin-orange stuff in
there too.....
nothing at all as brilliant as cobalt or red or true yellow --
maybe "ochre" or something,  and maybe the colors of yellow or     red you
might see on a fall tree

it was a fashion thing with clothing first, but it was also
an issue in carpet and upholstery and other home decor items,
and seemed to be a precursor to the "country" look.....

I remember my mom buying a new brown refrigerator and grousing
because it didn't match her avacado stove and stuff....  ;)
and within three or four years everybody was through that
and into cobalt blue and white   ;)

Deb