BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:28:04 -0800
OK, get ready, here it comes---the BEEEEG question.  What the hell is
Flemish bond?  I don't want to watch a whole damn movie that I don't even
like just to find out.  Thanks,  Ruth

At 1:17 PM -0500 10/27/03, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 10/27/2003 2:14:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

In the movie "Mary Poppins", much of the action takes place in a house on
"Cherry Tree Lane", London, in a world that was probably constructed
inside a sound stage or on a back lot in Culver City.

So my question -- have you ever seen the brickwork inside a fireplace done
in Flemish Bond?  Why would anyone do this in real life? I haven't seen
Flemish bond in a firebox, but I'm pretty sure I saw Roman brick laid in a
herringbone pattern; I'm not sure whether it was on the walls or the floor
of the firebox, though, or which building it was in.  I don't know of any
reason why one couldn't have whatever pattern one wanted laid up, as long
as one was willing to pay the mason and spring for the cost of wasted
brick, and had somebody imaginative enough to dream it up.

Ralph

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT