BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:14:31 -0400
Leland writes:
 >>Anyway, it would be wonderful if
there was the time, and pre-planning for conferences that would allow for
peer comment prior to the presentation, <<

I have been doing pre-planning with my conference sessions and workshops
for 5 or 6 years now. Here is an example over at my discussion Forum
that worked particularly well:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

6 discussions, 70 responses, 23,000 viewers

I call this Open Planning. The event organizers and co-presenters
involved have ready access day or night. Any of the web-browsing public
has access, and often gives input that is used. Participants signing up
can review the planning and ask questions or leave comments to assure
their particular interests are covered. A big benefit is the Google
Effect. The planning promotes the event and the session because the
planning is available to the internet search engines.

I use this same "open development" at my discussion Forum for my print
articles and publications. The editors and readers love it because all
the reader questions are answered in the original publication.

All this takes zero additional time, in fact, it takes less time to do
the planning because there are far fewer phone calls and private emails.

Some say, "well, we can't do planning in public, people would know what
we are thinking and planning."  I say, "?????!!!!!!??????!!!!!!"

The workshop planned in the discussion above was sold out weeks in
advance of all the other workshops at that conference, and the session
was all seats taken standing room only--when people are willing to do
Open Planning it really works.

John
hammer and hand
pen and thought