BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:15:00 -0500
Re:
>The New York Times will have an article on the apathy of the restoration
>process at historic Fort Totten in this Sunday's paper, City Section, by
>Richard Weir who was here today with his photographer for two hours.  Anyone
>who is interested needs to read a copy!!!!

Hope et al:
Beyer Blinder Belle, with me as Partner and Project Manager are the
designated Architects and Planners for documenting the military
fortifications at the north end of Fort Totten in a definitive Histroic
Structures Report and for the Interpretive Design Plan for these unique
facilities.  To my knowledge there are no more well preserved remnants of
the Endicott period of fortifications in the country.  Add to this the
Civil War and Taft era fortifications, magnificent reminders of how New
York has guarded itself for over a century, and the stories of the
engineering and research accomplished here, the development of torpedos,
mines and other coastal defenses, as well as the very human story of the
men AND WOMEN who trained and departed from Fort Totten, and I am sure the
interest, appeal and respect for these resources will not be ignored.  The
Historic House Trust is leading the effort, and while I can not speak for
the status of the historic research underway for the remainder of the fort,
I am sure that apathy is farthest from our minds.  I will never forget the
tears in Jack Fein's eyes as he recalls the memory of his buddies who never
returned; and we will not let Jack down in honoring that memory.  --Jim
Rhodes

And, yes, I would appreciate a copy of anything we might have missed as the
saga unfolds.  And thank you, Hope, for the assistance you have already
given.