BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:33:23 -0500
It seems hard to believe that they would need reforestation but my brother was there in late 80's with the Mennonites on a reforestation project (after doing something similar in Upper Volta/Burkina Faso for the Peace Corps on the edge of the Sahara). He went into UV/BF just after I think they had a coup that, among other things, changed the name of the country. He was in Haiti during or just after one of their ugly transitions. (Joe Btfsplk complex?)

I think you can pretty much tell where the border with the Dominican Republic is by looking at the denuded hills.

Take the trees down and you have soil retention problems, another thing they have to deal with in the rainy climate.

Bruce