BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:41:38 -0500
>>The hewing of the log in itself was interesting... the maintenance
guys
were there with a tractor, and their dog, a lovely collie mix that was
obviously very happy to be out on an adventure with the guys. We, being
the Americans, were all standing wondering what would happen next and
what to do with ourselves and the crew was talking, in Polish of course,
then suddenly (when you do not know the language then all decisive
actions appear to be sudden) they went into the hedgerow/woods that we
were standing nearby to and they selected a tree and cut it down. They
then trimmed it and dragged it around with the tractor. Now, the process
of cutting of the tree was not the interesting part, though the crosscut
saw was nice... the fact that this was a museum site and they just
simply had a conversation and agreed on a tree and cut it down without
any further paperwork is the sort of spontaneity of action that I doubt
would ever occur in a National Park in the US, or even a state park...
and by all evidence the Bialystok skansen is a national park of Poland.

][<en<<

More interesting for me was the fact that things worked exactly the same
over there as they all too often do over here. When we arrived at the
site of the "demonstration" Petr was obviously bemused by the fact that
he had asked for hewing stock, and had been given utility pole stock.
Granted their solution was much more effective than the red tape result
we would have likely seen stateside, but the truth is (as usual) we all
speak different languages even amongst ourselves.

Rudy