BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 04:35:14 +0100
Is this an argument for exquisite restoration by master stonemasons (are you listening, ][<en?), or is Christopher really suggesting that he'd like to be able to watch the degradation process go full cycle?

You know, you're strolling down the footpath dodging pieces of falling masonry, admiring what you can see of the brownstone through the safety hoardings.

I mean, after all most of the deterioration doesn't affect the structural integrity of the houses, does it?

So if we lose a bit of carved detail here and there, in the grand scheme of things, it's not so significant really.

And at the end of the day, we can collect some real good data about the comparative rates of weathering for brownstone from different quarries.

Sounds like a real good research project ... trouble is finding an institution prepared to let you take your Ph.D. over a fifty year study timeframe!

Or am I just getting the message up the wrong way down here?

david