BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Afghanistan of the preservation movement.
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 07:51:29 EST
In a message dated 12/8/2001 11:24:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Are funds the
 only thing that keep this type of detail from being used more on NYC
 buildings?  Or are there some joints that you want to keep open to weathering
 action? >>

We used lead joint caps (in some cases over caulk) at both 740 Park and NYAC;
they were original equipment (primarily over mortar, I suspect) at both
places.  There's some company that still makes the lead (probably male lead
window cames, too), and I'm not aware that it's ridiculously expensive, but
it is good protection.

Ralph