BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:13:15 -0400
Department of Hot Stove League, or my short career as a water leak
detecter in NYC:

There was a job.... water mysteriously leaked down the walls in a 300+
year old church. Many experts had been consulted and no one could figure
out where the water was coming from so my and my partner's fresh eyes
were requested. I was assured that the prime suspect was "wind-driven
water," through porous mortar and or stones, in other words,
nor'easters. Well, I'm from the midwest and we don't have nor'easters so
I was having trouble featuring this phenomenon.

But, rigs were rented and permits were expedited, and water sprayed here
and there onto the exterior walls in various quantities and pressures,
at different elevations. I had fun driving a JLG around lower Manhatten.
No water came in, except through some of the stained glass windows -
which problem they already knew about.

I went back and checked through what WE knew: it all started with the
tenant asserting  that the attic was bone dry, and progressed from
there. Just for giggles, we sprayed water all over the roof in different
pressures and quantities and at different elevations - one person
outside, one in the attic. Guess what? Us two hillbillies with a garden
hose and a set of walkie-talkies, a ladder, and the precious key to the
attic... well I'm sure you know the rest of the story!

sign me,
What You Can Do With a Degree in Math or Social Work These Days

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>