BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:53:09 -0500
The APT/Recent Past conference should be a great confluence of ideas and
humor.  I am interested in putting together a session on the work of
John J. Earley, at which I could lead off with the ongoing work at the
Parthenon.  Other projects might include some that Bryan Blundell is
familiar with, or the group from the Bahai who are also involved at the
Parthenon.  The idea needs to be talked about and developed, this month,
as the abstracts are due Sept. 30th.

The ironic story of the Parthenon is its history of imitating the stone
Parthenon in Athens, first in plaster, and later in concrete.  It's
significance seems to be associated with this second incarnation and the
unique use of concrete.  Also, the methods of reinterpreting the
sculptures and restoring the pebbled texture are complex APT fare.

Lastly, I consider this a "recent past" project, dating from the 1920s
reconstruction.  If interested, please contact me via BP or back
channel.  Thanks.

Ilene