BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:20:58 -0600
Ice free...hmmmm.   If nothing is melting on the roof, and the gutter
is well sloped, what ice are you remaining free from by painting the
gutters black?  If you are melting ice that is in the gutter, you've
got melting going on upstream.  That's your problem, not melting ice in
your gutter.

However.  Assuming that you don't want to deal with the problem at its
source, painting the gutters should work fine...just as fine as
electrical resistance heaters...make sure you do something to melt the
ice in the downspout...and the splash block...maybe you'd better build
a dry well and put a heater in there too...down to the frost line.

It all depends on how you define the problem.

-jc