BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:53:48 -0500
I agree with Ilene.  But if you've got moisture migration from the
interior, paint failure may be the least of your problems.  Once again,
the rule seem to be "follow the water".

I'd add that once you've achieved the dry wood, quality prep and paint,
the paint should wear, rather than outright fail.  In six to ten years
you will have paint fading, getting dirty and wearing away.  At that
stage, the prep is minimal and a single coat of paint may do the job.

If we are talking about historic materials with lots of paint buildup,
that may be a different situation.  Are we talking about that?

-jc