BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:00:35 -0500
][<en wrote:

> True family story. Natives on the Allegheny Reservation in Western NY were
> relocated for the Kinzua Dam. New houses were built for them with electric
> power, and heat, that I understand was to be free of charge.

We have friends at that rez. The houses you mention there at Jimmerstown
really were sad excuses and typical of our way of treating first nation
folks. Our son is actually named after Carson Waterman from there. I have
many fond memories of hunting and fishing with Johnny Abrams the upstart son
of the rez game warden. Johnny really could sense the wildlife and
supplimented his income from making medicine with being a guide.

I'll never forget the day I was in Johnny's back yard looking at the
snapping turtle he had for us when he started a fire under a 55 gallon drum
full of deer heads and water. He was boiling the flesh off the skulls so he
could make medicine heads. The kindling for the fire was a bunch of trash
from the kitchen including plastic milk jugs and the black smoke just
billowed up into the sky over the transplanted Seneca Nation. I said to
Johnny "Don't you think that's polluting the air?" Without turning and in
his best deadpan voice he said "It's the white man's air."

I think the relocation and flooding of the sacred longhouses to build of the
Kinzua Dam was the last treaty broken with the American Indians...... if I'm
not mistaken.

Rudy