BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:29:28 -0500
> Hey, I made it easy for a school to turn me down...

John: I was turned down by Deep Springs twice. Only place I ever really wanted to go. A 2-yr cattle ranch/school north of Death Valley. I don't know why now because I hate hot places. Back then it was my absolute. They said that due to my heavy interest in William Blake that I exceeded their quota for mysticism, or something much. I suppose the fact I said I wanted to be a poet at one of my interviews but had no idea who Gary Snyder was did not help. Years later Ginsberg advised me to go to Naropa University to The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. But by that time I was set cranky in my stubborn angst. I was raised around the intellectual hyperventittilation of Cornell. For a semi-conscious townie that is a brain f*ck. Wrote a letter once to Columbia Univ. telling them they did not know what they were missing. I'm still waiting for them to respond... though I like the checks pretty well they send when we fix their buildings. Best I ever did insofar as education was stop self-medicating and start busting stone. Hayvard began w/ a library and with the zeal of a rabid survivalist I've been accumulating books for a while now -- just need to make a few more adjustments. If I sum up my education into a nutshell it was one afternoon when the Snap-On Tools salesman we were building a little masonry for told me his observation of life that when we need to know something it happens to come along, we only need to be strong and ready to grab it. Education is a state of mind. ][<en
׫)ڶXxl^w(}?܅zb
iil&cn܆+޳Vjy板m