BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:25:53 -0400

<snip>

> and no one in government or academia seems to be interested in the subject
> here -- they just laughed at me when I asked  ;)
>
> anybody else with info or experience in this area?

Society for Commercial Archaeology will be the most likely place to find
folks thinking about this.

I would also try to contact Richard Longstreth and Chester Liebs.  They of
the academic world may be valuable allies to you in speaking with the local
academicians in their own arcane language.

Also try a search at <http://wwwlib.umi.com/dxweb/gateway> to see if there
are any available microfiche dissertations or theses on the subject that may
be of use to you.

I doubt you will find any local ordinances that will specifically mention
these items.  Most will authorize designation of significant buildings,
sites, areas, objects, archaeology, etc. etc.  It is up to the person
proposing the designation of these places to make the case for their
significance.  And that brings you full circle back to the items above.

Way to think outside the box...this is an important element of our nation's
cultural diversity that deserves to have some signposts planted pointing the
way.
Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                   heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                     -- Elbert Hubbard
[log in to unmask]               Proud member of Team Heretic