BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:28:52 -0500
Ralph,

Assuming this is an early cavity wall, i.e. about 3/4" mostly open cavity
between the face brick and concrete block backup and that the wall performed
well initially, I would be reluctant to install a vapor barrier where there
wasn't one to begin with. I fear trapping the moisture naturally being
driven out of the building behind the barrier. I suggest analyzing the wall
section for where condensation will form during normal ambient conditions -
my mechanical engineers do this for me all the time. This will identify
where the condensation will form in the wall and it is based on the thermal
characteristics of the particular wall. Mold is a somewhat legit concern but
not the only result of condensation within a wall that we should be
concerned about. There is also plaster deterioration and steel corrosion
too.

I recommend looking for the real cause of the leaks. Are they systemic or
discrete leak locations. Do you really need to strip the wall just to stop
the leaks? Don't forget, you will need to seal around all those brick ties.
But, if you do need to reface, I suggest using a vapor permeable waterproof
membrane similar to the "damproofing" they used to install on the backup
walls.

Eric Hammarberg
Director of Preservation
Sr. Associate