BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:29:52 -0500
I would like to hear about any successes and/or defeats in fighting the
introduction of cellular telecommunication towers in or adjacent to
local and/or State and National Register of Historic Properties or
Districts.  I'm especially interested in what worked or didn't work in
arguing against them.

We are in a situation where we have several applications for local
zoning board approval of variance requests to locate 120' to 150'
monopoles in or adjacent to several overlapping local and State and
National Register Historic Districts.  The districts include local
villages that have remained essentially unchanged since the 1850's and
included outstanding examples of architecturally and historically
significant resources.  We have a cellular ordinance that prohibits
towers within 500' of residences, parks, historic districts, etc.  The
proposed tower sites include multiple restricted features within the
500' radius.  The applications could probably be easily dismissed except
for the fact that the cellular companies have cleverly offered to make
our volunteer fire companies co-users of the towers in exchange for use
of their property.  The cellular companies have also agreed to pay the
fire company several thousand dollars per month.  The fire companies
have pre-existing communication problems and they argue that the tower
will offer a solution to the problem at no cost to local residents.
Local Historic and Environmental Commissions as well as County and State
offices and organizations have gone on record opposing the sitings, but
I think members of the zoning board are very sympathetic to the needs of
and benefits to the local fire companies.  Has anyone resolved
applications in similar situations?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tom Gale