BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 08:00:04 -0500
By today's standards I started young.  But at the time and in the
place, we were considered quite mature.  At all of 24 Suzy was the
oldest woman in the maternity ward, and possibly the only one having
her first child.  There were plenty of incentives to make babies in
1976, New South Wales, Australia.  Fearing that once we were home in
the USA, with the health care system just beginning to go out of
control, we thought we should have one while we could benefit from
socialized medicine.  I know most Americans believe the horror stories
about SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, but I'm convinced its a good thing, and from
a public health standpoint much better than what we have now.  As our
Aussie Doctor once commented, "Where's it written that Doctors are
supposed to be rich?"  And besides, doctors are trained and heavily
subsidized at public expense, just like fighter pilots.  Highly trained
and deeply in dept.  That makes them special, just like everyone else.

Oh, I was a ripe old 27.  I'm just another boomer, like you...but
somehow I often think you are younger.  Sometimes where you were in
relationship to the end of the draft is a hell of a demarcation.  And
yes, I'm old as hell now.  But that's just the guy in the mirror.  The
guy looking out is only 14.  (I can REALLY relate to "The Graduate"
now!)  (And Mrs C. is a lot better looking than Mrs. Robinson.)

Yup.  Wives are great.  But I'm not upset with mine at the moment.
Something she's been saying for several years...at least I only
remember her saying it for several years, it might be decades...sunk in
recently and I've been trying to act on it.  The results are
interesting.  They aren't the results who's anticipation may have
motivated me, but they are interesting and pleasant.  Its kind of like
quitting smoking.  Who knew you'd like yourself better and that that
would be the reward?  Besides, with the rest of my life going to hell,
I can't afford to screw up the one thing that is going well.

-jc